AXIS have the right Milling and Drilling solutions designed for machining difficult to machine Carbon-Fiber Reinforced Plastic (CFRP) and Metal Matrix Composites (MMC).
Composites and especially Carbon fibres are being utilized increasingly due to their favourable physical and mechanical properties.
Problems when machining Composites are :
– Uncut Fibers
– Fiber tear-outs
– Uneven Tool wear
– Poor surface finish
These problems are caused by unique conditions created by composite materials, which make it very difficult to get smooth surfaces.
AXIS Tools for CFRP are optimally engineered for these applications to counter the machining challenges.
Our CFRP cutters are available in Coarse, Medium and Fine cuts.
AXIS Drills for CFRP have special geometries and coatings with following features:
– Specially designed geometries
– Sharp cutting edges with optimised grinding techniques
– NexGen CVD Diamond coatings
Above features offer the following benefits:
-Reduced cutting forces which enable clean cutting without fibres and no delamination of layers
– Vibration free operation, excellent edge retention of holes and milled surfaces
– Enhanced tool life
AXIS Tool range is made of micro-grain Tungsten carbides which offer high wear resistance suited for edge retention and sharp cutting edges.
For machining such materials AXIS suggests :
– When the material delaminates, normally feed rate need to be reduced.
– In case of splintering,use positive geometry and increase speed and feed rate
– In case where layer delaminates sometimes modified geometries are offered.
– Typical starting values should be cutting speed of 60-120m/min and feed rates of 0.02 – 0.15mm/ rev.
– PolyCrystalline Diamond tools (PCD) are sometimes used for higher feed and sometimes higher speeds. Only straight cutting edges are possible with such tools.
CVD diamond tools have harder cutting edges and can be provided with helical and wavy edges.
AXIS is a leading manufacturer of Rotary Tools for challenging materials.