Covid 19 Vaccine Drive at Vedanta Jharsugda Alumunium Plant
Jharsuguda, January 19th, 2021: Vedanta Aluminium, India’s largest producer of aluminium and value-added aluminium products, has rolled out the COVID Vaccination Program for its medical personnel and healthcare staff, organised in partnership with the District Health Administration of Jharsuguda, Odisha. In the first phase, 125 personnel from Vedanta’s Occupational Health team will be vaccinated. Today’s vaccination drive, held in strict adherence to all COVID guidelines, was held under the close supervision of the district administration, who also provided the vaccine and other required medical equipment.
Praising the Odisha state government’s exceptional efforts against the pandemic, Mr. Rahul Sharma, Dy. CEO – Aluminium Business, Vedanta Ltd., said, “Under the visionary leadership of Shri. Naveen Patnaik, Hon’ble Chief Minister of Odisha, the state has been at the forefront of combatting the pandemic. The Odisha Government’s rapid and firm response in dealing with the situation, from creation of COVID Hospitals in every district to implementing stringent public protocols, has been a superlative example in keeping the disease under control.”
Speaking about Vedanta’s efforts, Mr. Sharma added, “The safety and health of our employees and business partners is our foremost priority. Since the outbreak of COVID-19 in Odisha, we have lent extensive support to the state government, district administrations of Jharsuguda and Kalahandi, and the local communities, reaching out to more than 10 lakh people in the process. We remain committed to the fight against COVID and keeping our employees and communities safe.”
Vedanta had rolled out a slew of initiatives for the state of Odisha, particularly for communities around its areas of operations in Kalahandi, Jharsuguda, and adjoining areas, towards ensuring grassroots preparedness as a critical first step towards combating COVID-19:
- 1 lakh numbers of Personal Protective Equipment (PPE) were provided to the Government of Odisha.
- Vedanta lent critical support to the district administration’s COVID hospitals in Jharsuguda and Bhawanipatna. The company supported the 110-bedded COVID hospital in Jharsuguda with medical equipment such as ventilators, corona kits, oxygen concentrators, nebulizers, specialized medical gear and other critical infrastructure. Likewise, the COVID hospital in Bhawanipatna was given PPEs and other essential supplies. Both hospitals together cater to roughly 6 lakh people.
- Vedanta’s own hospital in Lanjigarh supported the district administration, and offered Telemedicine facility alongside a 24X7 helpline to address concerns. The hospital continues to serve about 7,000 patients per month from the community.
- Vedanta provided up to a month’s supply of rations to nearly 5,000 daily wage earners, slum dwellers, needy families and marginal households across both districts.
- Mobile Health Units along with anganwadi workers and paramedic staff conducted over 300 awareness sessions across more than 100 villages to spread awareness on COVID-19 prevention and social-distancing, in addition to distributing masks and soaps free of cost.
- Fumigation and disinfection of all prominent public places, local areas, public offices and township areas were undertaken in both districts, reaching out to over 1 lakh people in the process.
- Over 2 lakh reusable masks have been distributed across 114 villages, district administrations, police and jail authorities, media, and other critical personnel of Odisha, who were exposed as a part of their duties. These masks are stitched by rural women’s self-help groups (SHGs) supported by Vedanta, thus providing them livelihood in these times.
Vedanta Aluminium & Power, a part of Vedanta Limited, is India’s largest producer of aluminium, producing almost half of India’s aluminium or 1.9 million tonnes per annum (MTPA) in FY20, and is also one of the largest private power producers in the country. It is a leader in value-added aluminium products that find critical applications in core industries. With its world-class smelters, alumina refinery and power plants spread across India, the company fulfills its mission of spurring emerging applications of aluminium as the ‘Metal of the Future’ for a greener tomorrow.
About Vedanta Limited
Vedanta Limited, a subsidiary of Vedanta Resources Limited, is one of the world’s leading Oil & Gas and Metals company with significant operations in Oil & Gas, Zinc, Lead, Silver, Copper, Iron Ore, Steel, and Aluminium & Power across India, South Africa, Namibia, and Australia. For two decades, Vedanta has been contributing significantly to nation building. Governance and sustainable development are at the core of Vedanta’s strategy, with a strong focus on health, safety, and environment. Giving back is in the DNA of Vedanta, which is focused on enhancing the lives of local communities. Under the aegis of Vedanta Cares, the flagship social impact program, Nand Ghars have been set up as model anganwadis focused on eradicating child malnutrition, providing education, healthcare, and empowering women with skill development. The company has been featured in Dow Jones Sustainability Index, and was conferred CII-ITC Sustainability Award, the FICCI CSR Award, Dun & Bradstreet Awards in Metals & Mining, and certified as a Great Place to Work. Vedanta Limited is listed on the Bombay Stock Exchange and the National Stock Exchange in India and has ADRs listed on the New York Stock Exchange.
About Vedanta Aluminium and Power:
Vedanta Aluminium, a part of Vedanta Limited, is India’s largest producer of aluminium, producing almost half of India’s aluminium or 1.9 million tonnes per annum (MTPA) in FY20, and is also one of the largest private power producers in the country. It is a leader in value-added aluminium products that find critical applications in core industries. It prides itself in having one of the largest technically qualified, diverse and vibrant workforces in the country spread across its four assets. With its world-class smelters, power plants and alumina refinery spread across India, the company fulfills its mission of spurring emerging applications of aluminium as the ‘Metal of the Future’ for a greener tomorrow.
For more information please log on to https://www.vedantalimited.com